Who is a vulnerable adult/adult at risk?
Vulnerable Adult Definition
"A person who is 18 years of age or over, and who is or may be
in need of community care services by reason of mental or other
disability, age or illness and who is or may be unable to take care
of him/herself, or unable to protect him/herself against
significant harm or serious exploitation."
(Law Commission - Who Decides?: Making decisions on behalf
of mentally incapacitated adults 1997)
Factors of a Vulnerable
- Is elderly and frail due to ill health,
physical disability or cognitive impairment
- Has a learning disability
- Has a physical disability and / or a
- Has mental health needs including dementia
or a personality disorder
- Has a long-term illness / condition
- Misuses substances or alcohol
- Is a carer, where the person meets the
- Is unable to demonstrate the capacity to
make a decision and is in need of care and support.