Chat Room Dangers
Going into an Internet
chat-room is a great way to have fun and make new friends.
But you need to be
careful. You can’t see or hear the people you talk to in chat-rooms
and sometimes they lie about who they say they are. They may be men
who are a lot older than you, for example. They could lie about
Some men and women
go to young people’s chat-rooms because they want to meet young
people on their own to have sex with them, or sexually abuse them.
These people are called paedophiles and they can be very
What to look out for:
Here’s how to stay safe in chat-rooms:
- Don’t use your real name.
- Don’t lie about your age.
- Don’t give out your email address, mobile
number, home address or school address.
- Don’t post your photo in a chat room.
- Use public chat-rooms where there are lots of
people, not private chat-rooms where there are only two
- Don’t agree to meet anyone you’ve met in a
chat-room unless you can take one of your parents/carers along
What to do:
- If you think that someone in a chartroom is
lying about who they are, email the person who’s in charge of the
- Warn your friends about this chat-room.
- Don’t use that chat-room again – find another
one that’s safer.
Is your friend in danger?
- Tell them not to meet up with anyone they
have met in a chat-room.
- Tell them not to give out personal
- Support them and encourage them to tell
someone about what is happening
Child Exploitation and Online
Chat Danger Website
Keeping Children and Young People safe is everybodies